Sunday, October 29, 2006

Books: A Few Favorites and Tear Jerkers

I thought I would compile a quick, short list of a few books that have held special meaning for us over the past two years (for one reason or another). Some of the books mentioned are Aenaon's favorites from his earliest months, and some are the ones that Mom had trouble reading without my voice cracking, and tears welling up in my eyes.

Early Favorites (I can recite any favorite by heart!)

Jamberry (first 16 months) [now destroyed due to overuse]

Goodnight Moon- Margaret Wise Brown

The Very Hungry Caterpillar- Eric Carle [second copy still hanging in there. The first time I opened this book I had a flashback to being 2 or 3 and poring over it in the "hideout" in our basement. It's always so wild when memories like that come back to you, because they are so sensational (as in, you remember them with all of your senses fully engaged).

The Tale of Peter Rabbit (first ten months)

Ten Little Ladybugs

Buenas Noches, Maripositas

Pretty Poems and Wonderful Words- Baby Einstein Collection

Moonhorse- Mary Pope Osborne (great paintings, we particularly liked this as a bed time story)

Tear-Jerkers

Runaway Bunny- Margaret Wise Brown (I think the first couple of times I read this I got choked up.)

The Whales' Song- Dyan Sheldon (with beautiful paintings by Gary Blythe). I think I had tears streaming down my cheeks with this one (and it took about ten or so readings before I could keep my voice from cracking. The theme felt rather pertinent at the time. I still resort to drawing a parallel to the character "Uncle Frederick" where appropriate.)

Song of People- Lois Lowry (with wonderful paper construction pictures made by a Boston architect (featuring scenes in Boston). Very simple, subtle, humane and poignant.

Harvesting Hope: The Story of Cesar Chavez- Kathleen Krull (with beautiful illustrations by Yuyi Morales)

A Haitian Story of Hope: Selavi - Youme

I Am an Artist- Pat Lowery Collins (illustrated by Robin Brickman)

Celebrating Families- Rosmarie Hausherr (got choked up on the first couple of reads. But this book very simply portrays a variety of families in a variety of circumstances. Socially conscious. Accompanied by photographs.)

Brother Eagle, Sister Sky- paintings by Susan Jeffers (story is adapted from speech Chief Seattle gave the government commission at meeting to finalize purchase of his people's land.)

We have a large assortment of books which we read and have thoroughly enjoyed. But I felt these were the few worth mentioning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home