Monday, August 07, 2006

Both Aenaon and Adara try to pull pictures off pages when they like what they see. Aenaon has started to say, "open" when he wants me to produce something off the page for him. (He used to whine all the time when he was little when we read the Story of Cesar Chavez book, because there were picture of plump grapes, and he would try to grab them, and he'd get upset when he couldn't.) It sort of reminds me of how when I was little I thought that I could rub the phone over a page, and someone would be able to see it. (I used to do this when I was on the phone with my Dad. I would be looking at photo albums, and "showing" him them over the phone. (I clearly remember this at age three, and perhaps, younger.) I also remember thinking that newcasters and other TV figures could see me through the screen. I used to hide, or feel uncomfortable or embarrassed, assuming they were watching me. I also used to think anything (sound or otherwise) unknown was a "monster". I even remember hiding behind the couch when the unknown noise of a truck backing up (and beeping) could be heard. Or, at three, I remember answering the phone, and there was an automated message from Sears (describing an underwear sale or something), and although I understood the words, the fact that it was not a human being caused me to run into the kitchen calling, "Gran! There's a monster on the phone!" (These memories are very distinct to me.)

Aenaon has also begun pulling Adara, saying "C'mon" when he wants her to do something with him. For example, "C'mon, Ara- book!" , when he wants her to help him tear all the books off my shelves and throw them around. (Maybe he feels less culpable if he has an accomplice (voluntary or no)...(Eurydice??)) He's even been known to drag her when she isn't moving his direction on her own (which reminds me of my own childhood) so I gently try to intervene/mediate as best I can.

I must say, though, that when they are playing together I am much more likely to go along with whatever activity they've chosen (as long as no on gets injured). I love to watch them have fun together, and forge a comradeship. Entirely precious. (And most likely to last a lifetime!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home